Assistant Program Officer, Africa - (Job #1814)
The Assistant Program Officer will work with the regional director and senior program staff to manage and direct the Endowment’s grants program, including monitoring and assessment of projects.
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, and seeks an Assistant Program Officer for the Africa regional program team. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Design country strategies based on political developments and NED funding ability;
- Assess proposals to present at quarterly Board meetings;
- Travel domestically and internationally on a regular basis;
- Provide strategic support to the Associate Director, including Africa-related initiatives and events;
- Monitor and provide compliance assistance to existing grantees;
- Track political developments around the world;
- Maintain contacts with organizations and individuals in Washington and abroad working to advance democracy and human rights.
- Master’s level education or equivalent knowledge in International Affairs, Political Science, History, or a related discipline is preferred, but not required;
- At least 3 years of applicable program experience is required;
- Experience in democracy and nonprofit work is required.
- Other Qualifications:
- In-depth knowledge of political issues and trends in Africa;
- Solid understanding of civil society issues and familiarity with civil society networks and organizations;
- Fluency in English is required; proficiency in other relevant languages of the region is a benefit;
- Knowledge of program assessment techniques;
- Experience in grant-making and democratic development is desirable;
- Experience in financial management and reporting;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to maintain professionalism under pressure;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
Candidates must include a cover letter, resume, completed NED employment application, salary history with requirements, and contact information for three professional references. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Job #1814 – APO, Africa - YOUR NAME in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org. Please, no phone call inquiries. www.ned.org/NED-Full-Employment-Application.pdf