Country Manager, Nicaragua
WaterAid's mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalized people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
The fact that 1 in 10 people in the world today don't have clean water is an outrage, and we need you to help change that. We're the #1 international nonprofit exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation, and there are 650 million reasons we do what we do. That daunting figure is the number of men, women and children who have yet to see, taste and enjoy safe clean water.
This is an excellent opportunity to join the world's leading NGO dedicated to water, sanitation and hygiene education, while doing your part to stop a neglected killer that steals more lives than malaria and AIDS combined.
In July 2011, WaterAid launched its first program in the LAC Region in Nicaragua with an emphasis on the North Caribbean Coast Autonomous Region.
The Country Manager will develop and implement WaterAid Nicaragua’s Program Development Strategy and is responsible for all aspects of managing its programs at a national level.
The role requires 25 - 30% domestic travel within Nicaragua and occasional travel internationally, across the LAC region, to WaterAid’s US (New York, Washington DC) and international offices, and international conferences and events.
- Consolidate WaterAid’s presence in the water and sanitation sector in Nicaragua through strategic thinking and priorities on programs, policy and learning directions as outlined in the WaterAid 2015 - 2020 Global Strategy, “Everyone, everywhere”;
- Lead the Senior Management Team to build the capacity of the Country Program and partner organizations to deliver effective programs in water, sanitation and hygiene;
- Plan, negotiate and evaluate partnerships in the government, NGO, private and university sectors and with them design projects and programs;
- Recruit and manage staff and service contractors together with Senior Management Team;
- Manage programs and budget, report quarterly to the WAA Regional Representative for LAC and prepare annual reviews;
- Implement planning, monitoring and evaluations (PME) in line with WaterAid’s global PME system;
- Represent WaterAid with the Local, Departmental and National Governments, donor agencies, individuals, and other partners and prospective funders;
- Produce reports to the Nicaraguan government as required;
- Ensure continuity of funding and donor relationships;
- Promote a learning environment across WaterAid’s partners and staff;
- Contribute to materials on WaterAid’s activities for internal and external audiences.
- Passion for WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a management style that reflects these.
- Deep understanding of water, sanitation and hygiene in developing communities;
- A strong commitment to gender sensitive, inclusive and pro-poor development work.
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity;
- Sound understanding of international development (policy and programme) and/or international business based on an appreciation of the political, social, cultural and economic forces and structures in country, and the wider region and globally;
- Strong business acumen and ability to understand financial statements, evaluate value for money, opportunities and risks;
- Experience developing strategic and operational partnerships with government authorities/ministries, local government, international, national and regional NGOs, civil society organizations across programme, policy and advocacy interventions;
- Experience and demonstrable skills in effectively networking and representing an organization with government, donors, public, media, supporters and other stakeholders;
- Experience leading engagement with national governments, bilateral and multi-lateral agencies on policy influencing;
- Previous experience in an international organisation, multi or bilateral agency, or in a business setting at an international level;
- Strong language skills, be able to communicate clearly in both English and Spanish, engage and influence effectively, inspire confidence and engender respect;
- Ability to lead financial and budget management processes and ensure accountability with internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience raising funds from government and/or international agencies (bilateral/ multilateral), managing budgets with diverse international donor base.
- High in integrity, energetic, self motivated and pragmatic and committed to delivering, despite the challenges;
- A strong understanding of the social, economic and political context in Nicaragua;
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Significant experience with community-based water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion projects;
- An understanding of participative hygiene promotion approaches and methodologies;
- Familiarity with working with local and national governments and other local partners to deliver and implement technical assistance and capacity building programmes;
- Experience in and/or understanding of entrepreneurial or social marketing approaches in WASH or other related service sectors.
- Work experience in the Autonomous Regions and/or other underserved municipalities of Nicaragua
- Knowledge of indigenous languages and/or cultural contexts of Nicaragua
Please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Nicaragua Country Manager” in the subject line, before December 20, 2017.
WaterAid is committed to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis “protected class” including, but not limited to: race; color; religion; genetic information; national origin; sex; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; age; disability; citizenship status; uniform service member status; or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
No calls, please.