Senior Financial Analyst
IMPAQ International, a growing and dynamic social science research firm, provides high-quality research and impact evaluation services, policy analysis, survey research, technology solutions, organizational development, technical assistance and consulting services to the U.S. Government, as well as international agencies, foundations, and the private sector. IMPAQ’s mission is to bring together exceptional people to develop innovative and rigorous approaches to evaluate the real-world impact of social policies and programs. IMPAQ has a diverse and collegial work environment and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/Disability/Veterans). IMPAQ offers five locations: our Corporate Headquarters in Columbia, Maryland, rated one of America’s Best Small Cities; Downtown Washington, D.C.; Boston, Massachusetts; Seattle, Washington; and a Bay Area office in Oakland, California.
IMPAQ is seeking an experienced Senior Financial Analyst to provide data mining and analytical support to the Finance Team, Project Management Office, and senior leadership. The candidate will analyze data, generate financial reports, resolve problems, and be an expert in a project budgeting environment. This position requires a detail-oriented, highly motivated candidate, with strong communication and analytical skills, demonstrated understanding of government contracting projects (CPFF, FFP, T&M), understanding financial systems, and advanced MS Excel skills.
This summary of responsibilities provides a general list of certain key functions, and other duties may be assigned to meet business needs. Responsibilities for this position include:
Financial Planning, Reporting, Budgeting and Analysis:
Responsible for various deadline-driven monthly reporting for management and external stakeholders such as project backlog and dashboards, financial summary, divisional indirect reports, federal financial reports, GSA Industrial Funding Fee, bank covenants, etc.
Lead monthly revenue and expense analysis to support monthly accounting close. Flag any unusual changes to ensure accuracy of information and request adjustments if needed.
Support the Incurred Cost Submission by providing various financial schedules and reconciliations to the audited financial statements.
Lead company-wide annual budgeting process documenting assumptions and making presentations to management.
Perform monthly financial statement analysis and document variances against budget.
Assist accounting staff with upload of financial information into Deltek GCS and download out of GCS.
Perform ad-hoc financial analysis for management such as the impact of business decisions on key performance indicators and “what-if” analysis.
Support management in financial modeling and analysis of mergers and acquisitions.
Project Financial Planning System:
- Serve as the resident expert for Deltek Budgeting and Planning system (or a similar platform) and Cognos Impromptu reporting module.
- Responsible for the initial project budget setup in Budgeting and Planning.
- Responsible for all system admin functions within Budgeting and Planning including trouble-shooting and system upgrades.
- Manage the licenses and users within the system.
- Provide training on Budgeting and Planning, as a project financial planning system and as a reporting tool.
- Provide data analysis and reporting for operational departments such as Information Technology, Facilities, Human Capital, Research Support Unit and Project Management Office when requested.
- Play a key role in the transition to new accounting and budgeting systems, become a “super” user and support the rollout and user training.
- Enhance the tools and methodologies for measuring and reporting on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Participate in working groups and committees that seek to develop new tools to meet the needs of a fast growing company.
Knowledge and Experience
- 5-7 years of work experience directly related to the job function with at least 3 years in government contracting;
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in MS Excel and familiarity with PowerPoint;
- Strong understanding of indirect rate structures and contract types (CPFF, FFP, T&M);
- Experience with Deltek GCS Premier/Costpoint, Cognos, JAMIS, Microsoft Power Business Intelligence strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of SQL, Microsoft Access, or database querying software a plus.
- Detail oriented and dependable, problem solver;
- Able to work independently, multi-task and prioritize effectively;
- Excellent people skills with a customer service oriented approach, and a focus on building relationships with people at all levels of the organization;
- Detailed understanding of project finance, accounting, and government contracting;
- Ability to handle sensitive situations in a professional manner;
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written;
- Demonstrate a positive attitude that reflects favorably on the company.
- BA/BS degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Information Systems or related field is required;
- MBA preferred.