Fighting Fraud in NGOs
This two-day course builds the skills and confidence of NGO managers and staff to prevent, detect and respond to fraud, making sure funds get to where they are most needed.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed specifically for NGO program, operations, and finance staff, who need to proactively manage the risk of fraud. The course is primarily aimed at:
- Senior Managers of national NGOs, such as Program and Finance Managers
- International NGO staff who manage partner relationships, such as Desk Officers or Project Officers
The course is most likely to be relevant to organizations with more than 12-15 staff or an annual budget of greater than $340,000/£250,000. It would also be of interest to NGO internal auditors.
What You Will Learn
The course includes the following key topics:
- What is fraud and why do people do it?
- Designing out fraud risk and developing controls
- Ways to detect fraud in case it should occur, including a speaking up hotline
- Equipping managers to ably handle fraud or alleged fraud, to take actions which are fair and firm
- Defining fraud and bribery
- Why do people commit fraud?
- The urgent need to fight fraud
- The 5-part holistic framework
- What does fraud look like close up?
Deterrence - strategies to reduce fraud incidents
- Content of key fraud policy documents
- Setting behavior expectations with staff, partners, suppliers, and donors
Prevention - protecting and safeguarding assets
- Assessing and building partners' capacity to fight fraud
- Identifying areas of high fraud risk
- Designing out fraud risk in projects
- Fraud prevention procedures and controls
- Tell-tale signs of fraud
- Setting up a 'Speaking Up' service
- Using budget monitoring reports
- Beneficiary accountability
Response - handling it well
- Key actions in response to alleged fraud
- Roles of the Fraud Response Team
- Internal and external communications
- Key elements in a fraud investigation
- Taking appropriate actions and documenting learning
Culture - creating an environment where fraud cannot thrive
- Integrating anti-fraud thinking
- Dealing with staff resistance
Summary and close
- Course review, certificates, and close