1904 Program Officer, North Korea
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Program Officer for the Asia team’s regional portfolio, specializing in North Korea. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Program Officer will work with the regional director and program staff to manage the Endowment’s North Korea grants program, including monitoring and assessment of projects.
- Assessing proposals to present at quarterly Board meetings;
- Traveling to the region on a regular basis;
- Monitoring and providing compliance assistance to grantees;
- Tracking political developments;
- Maintaining contacts with organizations and individuals in Washington and Asia working on North Korea.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, International Development or a related discipline required; Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 or more years of applicable program experience;
- Significant experience in democracy and nonprofit work.
- Other Qualifications:
- In-depth knowledge of political and economic issues and trends in North Korea;
- Solid understanding of civil society issues and familiarity with civil society networks, media outlets, political actors, and individual activists working on North Korean human rights and democracy issues;
- Full professional fluency in English with strong writing skills is required; fluency in Korean is preferred;
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent, interpersonal, communication and writing skills.
- Sound political judgment;
- Attention to detail;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, contact information for three professional references, and a completed NED Employment Application. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with 1904 - PO, North Korea – YOUR NAME in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, please visit our NED Careers page at http://www.ned.org/careers. Please, no phone calls.