Associate Benefits Manager/Benefits Manager (G09/G10)
Professional, non-supervisory position responsible for the planning, implementation and day to day administration and compliance of DAI’s health & welfare and retirement plans. Plays a highly visible role in developing and administering company-wide Health and Welfare plans for a population of 700-750 corporate employee located both in the US and internationally. DAI’s health and welfare plans include: medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, FMLA/ADA, and the benefits associated with personal leaves of absence. Retirement plans include: DAI’s qualified 401k, Roth 401(k), and ESOP. Individual serves as liaison between employees and plan providers to resolve employees’ benefit inquiries, leveraging and engaging DAI’s broker and carriers to ensure efficient resolution. Ensures plans are administered in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Health and Welfare Plans
- Manages DAI’s Health and Welfare programs
- Ensures benefit programs are competitive and cost effective.
- Works with benefit broker on annual renewals
- Manages annual enrollment process
- Develops annual Summary of Benefits for DAI-Bethesda employees. Oversees benefits communications. Conducts new employee benefits orientation for new hires and annual open enrollment information sessions for all employees.
- Advises managers on benefits related administrative policies and procedures.
- Serves as main point of contact for employee inquiries and issues related to benefits
- Counsels employees on plan provisions and administrative procedures so they can make informed benefit plan decisions
- Advises employees on changes to benefits eligibility as employment status changes
- Maintains employee benefits information on DAI’s portal to ensure compliance with reporting requirements and to provide easy access for employees
- Oversees COBRA administration, processing COBRA enrollments and terminations with all applicable carriers and set up of Qualified Beneficiaries with TPA
- Reviews and reconciles all benefits invoices and processes for payment.
- Ensures the data integrity of benefits information within the benefit system (Bswift)
- Responsible for the program administration for the 401(k), Roth 401(k) and ESOP plans
- Administration of the Short-Term Disability Program: act as liaison between Third-Party Administrator, Employees and Payroll
- Checks payroll previews to ensure changes are captured
- Responsible for tracking and reporting on disability (FMLA, LTD, STD)
- Works with brokers on summary / analysis of claims (EAP, Gallagher)
- Responsible for ADA tracking and administration
- Responsible for tracking leave carryover waivers
- Responsible for mandatory testing for Affordable Care Act, etc.
- Administers and ensures compliance for employee health and welfare plans including reviewing plan documents, completing PPACA required filings preparing annual benefit communications.
- Partners with insurance broker to ensure compliance with state/federal/local regulations and develops related employee benefit communications. Works with employees, insurance carriers, and broker to resolve employees’ benefit issues.
- Manages day to day activities for the 401(k)-plan including enrollment, semi-monthly pay period review and processing, loans, withdrawals.
- Manages annual ESOP processes including census preparation, distributions, and diversifications.
- Oversees 401(k) and ESOP administration and compliance activities including non-discrimination testing, and Form 5500 filings.
- Manages annual 401(k) and ESOP audit process including census preparation, coordinating with DAI’s recordkeepers, independent auditor, and DAI’s Finance and Legal departments.
- Serves as primary reviewer of Auditor’s annual financial reports, Form 5500 and SAR preparation. Responsible for resolving discrepancies. Prepare all documentation in “near final” form for Senior Director, Human Resources review prior to filing.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 10: Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field with at least nine (9) years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree in Human Resources or related field and seven (7) years of relevant experience.
- Grade 9: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field with at least seven (7) years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree in Human Resources or related field and five (5) years of relevant experience.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and training/education will be considered.
- Experience managing and administering health & welfare, and retirement plans.
- Knowledge of Federal/State/local laws and regulations (ERISA, PPACA, HIPAA, FMLA/ADA).
- Preferred Qualifications:
- PHR/SPHR, SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP, CEBS
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Familiarity with online benefit enrollment systems. Strong analytical, auditing, and decision-making skills essential. Ability to establish rapport and a customer service focus with employees while ensuring information shared will remain confidential.
- General knowledge of payroll systems and procedures.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to simultaneously coordinate multiple tasks and projects accurately while meeting
- Ability to work independently and problem solve on a consistent basis.
- Work professionally and effectively within a team. Ability to build and maintain constructive working relationships.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
Supervisory Requirements: None
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.