Managing Director, Philanthropy
We are a global nonprofit organization that’s deepening trust and collaboration to solve complex causes of poverty. We use our proven approach to help diverse people and organizations around the world work together to achieve lasting change on issues that matter to them.
We believe in the power of building trust. We foster successful collaborations by building trust, designing and implementing change processes, and enhancing the effectiveness of bridging leaders and institutions. It’s how we create sustainable solutions around the world. We focus on issues with high potential for reducing poverty, and in which coordinated, aligned action by diverse stakeholders has the greatest potential to create opportunities for individuals and communities to thrive. Our programs raise local capacity for collaboration, innovation, and service delivery - helping our partners achieve sustainable progress on important national priorities.
Synergos was founded in 1986 and has staff and representatives in Africa, Asia, the Arab World, Europe, Latin America, and the United States
Managing Director, Philanthropy
Synergos is looking for a strategic leader to join us as Managing Director, Philanthropy. This person will lead our Philanthropy program, which helps philanthropists (including members of our Global Philanthropists Circle) and other changemakers increase their impact by enabling them to connect to purpose, build trust, and collaborate with others.
S/he will also be part of Synergos’ senior management group, playing a large role in promoting the wellbeing and impact of Synergos as a whole. S/he will report directly to the CEO.
Managing Director, 7, Exempt
Synergos Philanthropy / Global Philanthropists Circle (GPC)
Reports to the CEO
- Build and manage a global philanthropy program that supports values-driven philanthropists and social investors to better address systemic causes of poverty and inequity by using the Synergos approach (personal reflection, collaboration, and systems thinking, with an emphasis on bridging leadership).
- In partnership with senior leaders across the organization and the philanthropy team, develop strategies to promote bridging leadership as a cornerstone of effective philanthropy and giving.
- Advance Synergos’ role and influence in the field of philanthropy and social investment by managing a thought leadership strategy, including but not limited to, conferences, events, and social media;
- Oversee and supervise a global team and program including developing strategy, planning, budgeting and finance staffing, mentoring, resourcing and evaluation.
Strategy and Operations
- Lead a process to clarify the value proposition, future strategic direction, and sustainable business model of Synergos Philanthropy.
- Implement the new strategic direction, ensuring adequate systems, staffing, and resources are in place to successfully deliver on the mission and goals.
Program and Business Development
- Working with the Synergos Philanthropy team and key Synergos departments, design and execute a strong offering of products and services - including but not limited to membership networks, bridging leadership training, and strategic advisory - for Synergos Philanthropy clients that enhances their impact in line with Synergos’ mission, and drives continued/deeper engagement with Synergos over time.
- Develop and oversee a successful business development strategy for the global philanthropy program at Synergos, aligning to Synergos’ overall goals and mission (inclusive of cultivating new members and clients; identifying and forging strategic partnerships; developing strategies for growth and diversification of income streams; etc.)
- As a thought leader, speak and write in external fora of influence as an expert in advancing Synergos’ mission, programs and strategies in order to measurably raise our profile in the fields of philanthropy, social investment and international development.
- Leading with humility, serve as a resource on philanthropy and international development trends for GPC members, philanthropy clients, and for other Synergos stakeholders including Synergos board.
- Align and lead a global team around a shared vision, strategy, and workplan, taking into account the diverse contexts and markets in which staff members work.
- Support global team members to achieve portfolio- and market-specific goals through mentorship, team workshopping, and/or additional capacity.
- Manage the Synergos philanthropy and GPC budget and ensure that the team achieves specific targets for membership retention and recruiting, as well as uptake of further Synergos products and services.
- Serve as member of the Synergos Executive Team, providing guidance and leadership in the overall development of Synergos.
- At least fifteen years of management experience, with a successful track record of leading and executing strategic change processes rooted in innovation and inclusivity, as well as managing a global team.
- Exceptional capacity for empathetic listening and authentic relationship building with and across diverse sets of stakeholders.
- Significant experience in network building and program management, ideally across public, private, nonprofit sectors and across global geographies
- Significant experience working and building trust-based relationships with (U)HNW families, donors, and investors.
- A nuanced understanding of philanthropy and social investment is absolutely critical, as developed through significant hands-on experience in the philanthropic, nonprofit, and or / social investment sectors; a basic understanding of impact investing is also a must.
- Ability to manage complex initiatives with experience in budgets, planning and financial management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (up to 30%)
- Fluency in one or more languages in addition to English
- Familiarity with leadership development methodologies
- Experience and comfort working with remote staff and field offices
- Experience living and working in more than one country
Please submit a cover letter highlighting your major achievements relevant to this position and your resume to email@example.com and indicate Managing Director, Philanthropy in the subject. No phone calls please.