Director, Business Development
Humentum is a global nonprofit/charity focused on advancing operational excellence for social good. We build the capacity of staff at international development and relief organizations to address the operational challenges they face while working toward their missions. Humentum was created from the merger of three well-established organizations: Mango, a UK-registered charity and social enterprise that specializes in financial management; InsideNGO, a Washington, DC-based member association of international non-governmental organizations; and LINGOs, a virtual not-for-profit capacity building organization specializing in eLearning. Learn more about us here: www.humentum.org
The Director, Business Development (Philanthropy and Partnerships) will lead, manage and develop Humentum’s business development activities to help achieve its mission.
- To lead Humentum’s initiatives for institutional giving that support and deliver its strategic and operational plans
- To represent Humentum to external stakeholders, developing strategic partnerships and securing funding for Humentum’s activities
- To support the senior leadership team in fulfilling Humentum’s strategic goals, donor activity, and development efforts across the organization
Director, Consultancy and Client Services
To lead Humentum’s initiatives for institutional giving that support and deliver its strategic and operational plans:
- Build a significant pipeline of foundations and other funders who align with Humentum’s mission and funding strategy.
- Lead the process for developing concept notes and funding proposals on large projects and strategic initiatives.
- Cultivate relationships with institutional donors, including foundations and corporations, and other funders who align with Humentum’s mission and funding strategy.
- Lead the development of strategic and operational business development plans for approval by Humentum’s senior leadership team, consulting and involving relevant external and internal stakeholders.
- Maintain, monitor and update the business development pipeline.
- Ensure regular reporting on the progress against business development plans, and input to Humentum’s impact reporting.
- Build the internal capacity of the organization for strategic and successful business development.
- Maintain and develop best practice systems and processes to support new donor acquisition.
- Coordinate preparations for business development meetings.
- Support data analysis and knowledge management to inform business development strategy and operations.
To represent Humentum to external stakeholders, developing strategic partnerships and securing funding for Humentum’s activities:
- Lead our organizational outreach to prospective foundations and other institutional donors working for social good.
- Facilitate on-going strategic relationship development with Humentum’s key clients and members, including periodic strategy reviews and key client planning sessions.
- Actively network among Humentum’s regionally-focussed program to identify relevant funding opportunities.
- Develop and deliver presentations to prospective partners, foundations, funders and other stakeholders about Humentum, its programs and outcomes.
- Partner with others to create and lead virtual and in-person events to promote Humentum within selected communities.
- Identify relevant trends and developments to inform Humentum’s broader strategies and initiatives.
To support the senior leadership team in fulfilling Humentum’s strategic goals, donor activity, and development efforts across the organization.
- Partner with the senior leadership team members to develop and deliver on new business and revenue targets.
- Collaborate with the marketing director to promote the benefits of Humentum’s services and to align messages and branding using the website, social and other networks and other media.
- Support training programs to build the capacity of business development across Humentum.
Other duties commensurate with the post and as requested by the Director, Consultancy & Client Services.
- Minimum seven years of progressively responsible fundraising, business development or client management.
- Proven ability in business development and in preparing successful fundraising proposals including budgets, which address the needs and objectives of potential clients or donors.
- Demonstrable people-orientation, enjoying building and maintaining professional relationships with stakeholders externally by pursuing referrals, attending conferences and networking events.
- Possess strong negotiation skills and decision-making ability.
- An experienced networker with the ability to act as a compelling ambassador who can forge alliances and influence at senior levels as well as develop client relationships.
- A well-established network of appropriate contacts with foundations, philanthropists, NGOs and other funders.
- Demonstrated experience managing proposal teams and processes and ability to establish workflows, manage multiple projects, and meet strict deadlines with high level of accuracy.
- Producing deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
- Ability and proficiency in the use of computer software and willingness to learn Humentum’s software specific to role.
- Willingness to travel up to 20% regionally and internationally.
Skills & Attributes
- Highly motivated, energetic, organized, positive and inspiring approach to work.
- Ability to manage projects from start to finish, including ongoing analysis of impact and results.
- Must be proactive, well-organized and able to multitask.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter, motivated professional with ability to think strategically and creatively, with ability to execute tactics.
Please submit resume and cover letter, including salary history, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Please note that candidate must pass verification of employment/reference screening and background check. Due to the number of responses, we will only contact those selected for an interview.
Humentum is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.