Director of Finance/CFO
Humentum is a global nonprofit/charity focused on advancing operational excellence for social good. We build the capacity of staff at international development and relief organizations to address the operational challenges they face while working toward their missions. Humentum was created from the merger of three well-established organizations: Mango, a UK-registered charity and social enterprise that specializes in financial management; InsideNGO, a Washington, DC-based member association of international non-governmental organizations; and LINGOs, a virtual not-for-profit capacity building organization specializing in eLearning. Learn more about us here: www.humentum.org.uk
Humentum is seeking an experienced Finance Director/CFO to be part of our senior leadership team. This position requires the communication skills necessary to lead on good financial management across a global and increasingly virtual organization with staff in four continents and a globally distributed Board of Directors. The position reports to the CEO of Humentum and leads a small finance team based in the UK and the USA.
The Finance Director/CFO will work with others to build and communicate a financial strategy and performance management framework which aligns Humentum’s financial sustainability with our impact. This includes managing the Group Management Accountant to serve as business partner to managers across the organization and the Group Financial Controller and their small financial processing team.
Humentum is a US-registered 501 (c) (3) which has effective control of a UK registered charitable company. Therefore, the position will also create and oversee appropriate group and intercompany policies and processes and manage a Group Financial Controller and global finance team responsible for daily operations and transactions in the US and UK offices, which in turn support three regional hubs and a variety of training workshops and projects throughout the world.
The core competencies we seek for this role include:
Strategic Thinking and Innovation
This person should be an innovative thought leader with keen critical thinking and analytical skills who offers advice and creates plans based on analysis of issues and trends, and demonstrates how these link to the responsibilities, capabilities, and potential of their organization. She or he has a record of scanning ever-changing, complex environments in anticipation of emerging crises and opportunities. This person is known for developing well-informed advice and strategies that are sensitive to the various needs of multiple stakeholders and partners, reflects the strategic direction of the department, and positions the organization for success. This person will have strong intellectual agility with innate curiosity, especially for rapidly evolving technologies which help not-for-profits achieve operational excellence.
Leadership and Judgment
She or he is known for influencing and inspiring a multi-functional organization by communicating clearly and using the power of influence and reasoning to drive action throughout all lines of business. She or he must have previous experience driving positive change in a complex business.
This individual writes and speaks effectively across all levels of an organization; states own opinions clearly and concisely; demonstrates openness and honesty; listens well during meetings and feedback sessions; explains reasoning behind his or her opinions; asks others for their opinions and feedback; asks questions to ensure understanding; exercises a professional approach with others using all appropriate tools of communication; uses consideration and tact when offering opinions.
This person demonstrates knowledge of techniques, skills, and procedures to capture, analyze, and communicate financial and business intelligence insights to the organization. She or he is a change agent with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate strategy and vision, align people and process, and drive execution to achieve the desired results, and is not afraid to push back and make the case with a contrarian view.
She or he is recognized for a high level of energy, passion, drive and commitment, mobilizing people by inspiring a sense of urgency and by providing clear direction. She or he is known for a focus on business objectives when making resource and capital allocation decisions and a demonstrated willingness to makes tough decisions when needed.
- Work with the senior leadership team to develop and monitor a long-term financial strategy which is aligned and linked to our strategic plans and key performance indicators.
- Play a key role on the senior leadership team and in Board meetings, striving to ensure that Humentum demonstrates operational excellence in financial management and compliance.
- Support the Humentum Board’s Finance committee and Treasurers of Humentum and Humentum UK, playing a leading role on financial strategy, risk management, reserves and investment management.
- Lead annual financial planning, budgeting and regular reforecasting processes.
- Lead on risk management across the organization and ensure effective business continuity planning.
- Manage group relationships with banking, insurance, and investment advisors (in conjunction with the Finance Committee).
- Supervise the Group Financial Controller and provide overall leadership for the finance team to ensure that the two legal entities have well designed policies, systems and processes that allow accurate financial reporting on a timely basis.
- Supervise the Group Management Accountant in their role as business partner working with managers to monitor and forecast financial performance of the different components of Humentum’s diverse business model.
- Oversee the annual audits of both entities and ensure compliance with all relevant legal and statutory filing requirements.
- Work closely with the Director of Operations and IT team to integrate financial systems with other IT systems and knowledge management processes.
Qualifications and Desired Experience
- Relevant accounting qualification.
- Range of accounting experience, including at a senior level with responsibility for managing staff and finance teams.
- Experience of business partnering and designing management information, ideally for Boards of Directors as well as managers across the organization.
- Experience with intercompany accounting and international transactions preferred.
- Experience of analyzing the financial performance of commercial activities and making recommendations to improve business performance.
- Demonstrated initiative in reviewing, creating, and implementing new systems and approaches.
- Experience of managing the implementation of new accounting systems or other IT projects.
Skills and Attributes
- Proactive strategic thinker who is comfortable working in partnership with senior leaders.
- Excellent written and communication skills which are adapted for the relevant audience including Boards and non-financial staff.
- Strong people management skills, with the ability to manage team members and work collaboratively across the organization.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team environment with rapidly changing priorities in a dynamic and unpredictable context.
- Meticulous attention to detail – demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, organized, monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Challenges current practice constructively and gives feedback that improves performance.
- Demonstrates Humentum’s values of positive collaboration, openness, mutual support and learning to make a difference in our organization and our work.
If the post is appointed in the UK as preferred the employer will be Humentum UK. Whereas if the post is appointed outside the UK the employer will be Humentum, which is registered in Washington DC, USA. The post will have the flexibility to work from home but will need to travel our offices in Oxford regularly and more occasionally to Washington DC.
Humentum is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.