Group Financial Controller
Humentum is a global nonprofit/charity focused on advancing operational excellence for social good. We build the capacity of staff at international development and relief organizations to address the operational challenges they face while working toward their missions. Humentum was created from the merger of three well-established organizations: Mango, a UK-registered charity and social enterprise that specializes in financial management; InsideNGO, a Washington, DC-based member association of international non-governmental organizations; and LINGOs, a virtual not-for-profit capacity building organization specializing in eLearning. Learn more about us here: www.humentum.org
Humentum is seeking an experienced accountant to act as a finance controller for its two legal entities in the US and UK and activities across the world. This position involves managing all accounting operations including ensuring that all processes and controls meet Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as well as the accounting requirements in the US and UK. The Group Financial Controller also ensures compliance with US and UK regulations, tax and reporting requirements and needs to assess the risks and requirements of operating in other countries. The position reports to the Finance Director/CFO of Humentum and will need to work closely with a small finance team who are located in the USA and UK.
Humentum is formed of a US registered 5013c which has effective control of a UK registered charitable company. Therefore, the position will need to manage intercompany consolidations and develop appropriate policies and processes to monitor intercompany group transactions and prepare both companies for audit annually.
The core competencies we seek for this role include:
Design and Management of Effective Financial Controls and Operations
This person should have knowledge and experience of designing and managing financial processes and controls in a complex global organization. She or he is able to analyze and design the financial work-flows and controls needed by a small finance team to support operations in different aspects of its work and locations. This person will have a deep understanding and commitment to driving how effective financial management and compliance can enhance the operational effectiveness of social sector organizations like Humentum.
Confidence and interest in maximizing benefits from technology
This person will have strong levels of competence and innate curiosity, in developing how rapidly evolving technologies can be used to improve financial management processes and drive organizational efficiency and effectiveness. She or he is known for inspiring and influencing others in the organization to trial and adopt emerging technologies which will improve financial processing or compliance with reduced cost and effort.
Judgment and Integrity
She or he is known for her good judgement on issues of doubt related to compliance or ethical behavior. She uses her position as overseer of a wide range of organizational activity and her communication skills to inspire norms around ethical behavior influence which contribute to the overall reputation of Humentum as a highly trusted organization.
This individual writes and speaks effectively across all levels of an organization; states own opinions clearly and concisely; demonstrates openness and honesty; listens well during meetings and feedback sessions; explains reasoning behind his or her opinions; asks others for their opinions and feedback; asks questions to ensure understanding; exercises a professional approach with others using all appropriate tools of communication; uses consideration and tact when offering opinions.
She or he is recognized for a high level of energy, passion, drive and commitment, mobilizing people by inspiring a sense of urgency and by providing clear guidance and procedures for staff across the organization to follow. This is very much a hands-on role getting into the detail, working with others in the small finance team and resolving technical problems that are inevitable in an organization shortly after a merger with an ambitious strategy for the future. She or he is known for a focus on business objectives when addressing non-compliance or making recommendations for improvements in operations.
- Supervise and develop the global finance team to ensure accurate and timely completion of accounting deliverables.
- Design and manage a monthly finance calendar and closing process for both the US and UK legal entities to ensure the books are closed by the 10th business day of each month.
- Prepare and import revenue and receivables activity from Salesforce and other relevant systems into the general ledger system on a regular basis during the month.
- Prepare and file tax and other statutory returns required in the US and UK.
- Successfully manage annual financial statement audits with external auditors in the US and UK.
- Review policies and procedures to ensure a strong system of internal controls to safeguard the organization’s assets.
- Manage the Company’s online banking system and use of credit cards.
- Work with the Director of Operations to manage payroll, external payroll suppliers and relevant reporting to tax authorities.
- Work with the senior leadership team to develop and enforce a scheme of delegation across the organization.
- Play a key role in the staff team highlighting the need for strong financial controls and identifying and mitigating the risks of non-compliance.
- Initiate and lead process improvements in processes which impact the global finance team encouraging the automation of process with technology as far as possible.
- Manage and execute multiple global payrolls.
- Work closely with the Director of Operations and IT team to integrate financial systems with other IT systems.
- Provide cover as required for the Group Management Accountant and global finance team.
Qualifications and Desired Experience
· Relevant accounting qualification.
· Experience of managing a small finance team.
· Experience of intercompany accounting, preferably in an international context.
· Experience of designing and managing financial processes, procedures and internal controls.
· Experience of managing the implementing new accounting systems and other technology projects.
· Experience of working with Quickbooks preferred.
Skills and Attributes
· Excellent planning, time management, decision-making and organizational skills.
· Excellent written and communication skills which are adapted for the relevant audience including non-financial staff.
· Knowledge of a range of accounting systems, preferably including Quickbooks.
· Ability to work in a fast paced, team environment with rapidly changing priorities in a dynamic and unpredictable context.
· Excellent Excel skills with experience of importing and exporting from accounting systems.
· Meticulous attention to detail – demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, organized, monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Challenges current practice constructively and gives feedback that improves performance.
· Demonstrates Humentum’s values of positive collaboration, openness, mutual support and learning to make a difference in our organization and our work.
Humentum is an at-will employer in the District of Columbia. Employment regulations applying to the Washington, DC will apply. Humentum is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.