NGO Budgeting Essentials
Learn how to create effective NGO project and donor budgets.
By studying actual project budgets, you’ll gain practical skills you can apply at your NGO. At the end of the four weeks, we will consolidate and share a useful summary of all recommended NGO budgeting tools and techniques.
You’ll return to work recognizing why it is critical to prepare accurate, complete, and justified budgets for effective program management. You will also understand the importance of program and finance teams working together to build and manage NGO budgets.
What will you learn
- Complete an accurate, complete and justified project budget – using the activity-based budgeting technique
- Structure budgets in different donor formats to accompany funding proposals
- Create phased budgets for program implementation
- Describe how the Chart of Accounts is used in budgeting and budget management
- Use a funding grid to manage multiple-donor funded programs
- Identify at least 10 different types of budget and 3 different approaches to setting budgets
Who should attend
Anyone in the NGO sector with responsibility for building or implementing project, program or organization-wide budgets.
Previous budgeting experience is useful, but not required for this introductory-level course. If you’re still not sure if this course is right for you, feel free to contact us and we can help!
If you’re still not sure if this course is right for you, feel free to contact us and we can help!
How will you learn
Humentum’s self-directed and focused trainings put the learner first. Connect and engage with peers from around the world, while learning through a series of engaging videos, assignments and readings. An expert facilitator will guide you.
The platform is open for a set number of weeks, and you can log-in to work at your own pace whenever convenient. You’ll find our learning platform easy to navigate, with clear guides and instructions. You can find out more about our online training platform by watching this video.
Each week, the following module will become available. To proceed to the next module, you’ll need to earn points for completing various tasks (such as watching videos, reviewing resources, and interacting with others). The more tasks you complete, the more points you’ll earn.
We estimate this training requires 3 hours per week, depending on your pace of learning, and previous experience.
Explore some key principles and concepts related to financial planning.
- Financial Planning
- Financial planning – Setting the scene
- Budgeting – Your experience so far
- The Chart of Accounts
An introduction to activity-based budgeting.
Practice using two key tools: the Project Breakdown Sheet and the Budget Worksheet.
- Activity-based Budgeting
- Activity-based budgeting – Processes and tools
- Compiling the Project Breakdown Sheet
- Reviewing and Summarizing the Budget
Find out how to create a phased budget.
- Consider how to budget for indirect costs.
- Full Cost Recovery, the Consolidated Budget, and the Phased Budget
- Calculating Full Project Costs
- The Consolidated Budget
- Creating a Phased Budget
Find out about cash flow forecasts and donor-format budgets.
- Consider options for managing multiple-donor funded programs, too.
- Budgets for Program Management
- The Cash Flow Forecast
- Building a Donor-Format Budget
- The Funding Grid
Upon completion, Humentum provides a certificate of attendance for this course.
Pricing and Discounts
Humentum encourages teams to attend this course together.
We offer a 15% discount for groups of 5 or more to attend this course.
Learn about our Organizational Training Package for members – an offer that allows even more flexibility and cost savings for your organization – starting at groups of 15 or more.
Humentum members receive a 10% discount off this course. When registering, ensure you use your organizational email address. Your member discount will then be automatically applied at checkout. Having trouble? Contact us at email@example.com.