Integrating Effective CLA Plans into USAID Awards
Learning has always been a part of how development programs are designed and implemented, but in recent years USAID has more clearly defined systematic guidance for its missions, operating units, and implementing partners via its Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) framework. The CLA framework helps program teams learn and adapt on an ongoing basis, in a systematic way, that leads to greater impact.
In partnership with Acute Incite, Humentum is pleased to launch a new course, Integrating Effective CLA Plans into USAID Awards, designed to:
- Help implementing partners understand what USAID expects around learning from program design and implementation
- Increase chances of winning USAID proposals by writing realistic and practical CLA plans
- Present a comprehensive and consistent approach to CLA expectations for program implementation
- Create or enhance a strong collaborative relationship with USAID counterparts, that can lead to more effective results and increased opportunities for collaboration in the future
This foundational course is facilitated by experts in USAID’s CLA framework and will be supplemented by guest appearances from USAID CLA practitioners. Our facilitators will show you how to implement and demonstrate CLA capacity and give you the confidence to translate what
you are probably already doing into more systematic and integrated learning practices. As a result, you will be able to write more effective proposals, develop more realistic MEL plans, and implement more adaptive programs.
What will you learn
- What USAID means by “CLA”, and why it is important to program design, implementation, learning, and adaptive management
- How to demonstrate CLA approaches that you are already doing in your work, and communicate how they benefit program implementation
- How to design and integrate a CLA plan into program design and implementation
- How to make effective decisions on the evidence you collect
- How to build a culture of learning on a program team
Who should attend
- Program/project staff implementing USAID projects, especially those responsible for monitoring, evaluation, and learning throughout the project cycle
- Business development staff managing or bidding on a USAID contract, grant, or cooperative agreement
- Chiefs of Party and Deputy Chiefs of Party
If you’re still not sure if this course is right for you, feel free to contact us and we can help!
How will you learn
Humentum’s practical training puts the learner first. Our expert facilitators draw on their own sector and subject-specific knowledge for a worthwhile and enjoyable learner experience. They will share relevant tools, techniques and insights that are immediately transferrable to your own work. You are also actively encouraged to engage in collaborative learning through discussions and hands-on group work.
This training runs over four days and you are required to log in at set times each day to attend live webinars, each lasting approximately 90 minutes. You will also access videos and join discussions. You can find out more about our training platform by watching this video.
We estimate this training requires four hours per day, depending on your pace of learning, and previous experience.
Please note that the start date of the course allows you time to log in and access pre-course materials. This may include videos to watch, documents to read, or links to platforms that are used as part of the training. Calendar invitations for the webinars are sent as part of the joining instructions.
Day 1: Intro to CLA
Session 1: Overview of CLA, how it is defined in USAID’s guidance, and how it fits into USAID’s Program Cycle
Session 2: USAID’s Perspective on how CLA and MEL work together
Day 2: Contextualizing your CLA Approach
Session 3: Designing CLA Approaches
Session 4: Writing CLA Plans
Day 3: Telling your CLA Story
Session 5: Practical examples of CLA from USAID
Session 6: Practical examples of CLA from Implementing Partners
Day 4: Keys to Success from USAID and its Partners
Session 7: Panel: Q&A with USAID CLA practitioners
Session 8: Panel: Keys to CLA success from Implementing Partners
Upon completion, Humentum provides a certificate of attendance for this course.
Pricing and Discounts
Humentum encourages teams to attend this course together.
We offer a 15% discount for groups of 5 or more to attend this course.
Learn about our Organizational Training Package for members – an offer that allows even more flexibility and cost savings for your organization – starting at groups of 15 or more.
Humentum members receive a 10% discount off this course. When registering, ensure you use your organizational email address. Your member discount will then be automatically applied at checkout. Having trouble? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.