Planning for NGO Financial Sustainability
This course shares the practical tools and know-how to achieve financial sustainability to fulfill your NGO’s mission and objectives, now and in the future.
Starting with an explanation of what financial sustainability for NGOs means, you’ll progress to how to evaluate your NGO’s sustainability. You will discover how to assess current vulnerabilities and move beyond donor dependency. We will share many useful tools and techniques including Humentum’s recipe to build a sustainable financing strategy for NGOs, INGOs or partner organizations.
What will you learn
- Assess your or a partner organization’s financial sustainability and risk status
- Describe how to diversify income and become less dependent on donor income or external finding agencies
- Manage and outline options for cost recovery and financing central support costs
- Set targets for and identify options for building financial reserves
Complete a communications plan to strengthen stakeholder relationships
- Practice using key tools to create a financing strategy document with everyone in the organization
Who should attend
- Senior managers (CEOs, program directors, finance managers) of national NGOs
- INGO program managers who support partner NGOs
- INGO managers who are responsible for developing a financing strategy for their country programs
- Members of local boards of trustees (such as a Chairperson or Treasurer)
This training is especially effective if a program manager and a finance manager from the same organization attend together.
Previous financial management experience or training is not a pre-requirement for this course.
If you’re still not sure if this course is right for you, feel free to contact us and we can help!
How will you learn
Humentum’s self-directed and focused trainings put the learner first. Connect and engage with peers from around the world, while learning through a series of engaging videos, assignments, and readings. An expert facilitator will guide you.
The platform is open for a set number of weeks, and you can log-in to work at your own pace whenever convenient. You’ll find our learning platform easy to navigate, with clear guides and instructions. You can find out more about our online training platform by watching this video.
Each week, the following module will become available. To proceed to the next module, you’ll need to earn points for completing various tasks (such as watching videos, reviewing resources, and interacting with others). The more tasks you complete, the more points you’ll earn.
We estimate this training requires 2-3 hours per module (5 modules in total), depending on your pace of learning, and previous experience.
You get started with a background to the concept of financial sustainability.
- Key Principles
- Sustainability and NGOs – Key concepts
- What is a financing strategy?
- Where do NGOs get their money?
We introduce some planning tools to help assess an organizat-ion’s financial position, risks, resources, and opportunities.
- Where Are We Now? Situation Analysis
- Situation Analysis Tools – SWOT and Stakeholder Analysis
- Financial Analysis: Understanding financial statements
- Using financial ratios
We focus on managing risk and look at how healthy your income is, identify other financial risks that could affect our operations now, and in the future.
- Where Are We Now? Risk Assessments
- Assessing income diversification
- Donor dependency
- The risk assessment and mitigation process
Module 4 is all about building on strengths and opportunities, minimizing the impact of risks & threats, and setting targets.
- Where Do We Want to Go? Setting Targets
- Setting targets: The desired financing mix
- Strategies for diversifying income
- Conducting a resources audit
- Alternative financing options
- Charging for services
A strong focus on key financial policies as well as taking a look at financing central support costs and the ethics of fundraising.
- Where Do We Want to Go? Financial Policies
- The reserves policy
- Ethical fundraising policy
- Financing core costs policy
- Managing Stakeholder relationships
- How Do We Get There? Financing Strategy
Upon completion, Humentum provides a certificate of attendance for this course.
Pricing and Discounts
Humentum encourages teams to attend this course together.
We offer a 15% discount for groups of 5 or more to attend this course.
Learn about our Organizational Training Package for members – an offer that allows even more flexibility and cost savings for your organization – starting at groups of 15 or more.