USAID Proposal Development From NOFO*/RFA/RFP to Proposal Submission
Get the practical tools, resources, and guidance you need to submit quality proposals to USAID.
This course helps staff members at NGOs effectively manage the proposal process at the country office level by learning how USAID works. You will also learn the processes and challenges of responding to NOFOs, RFAs, and RFPs in the home office.
*NOFO is Notice of Funding Opportunity
What will you learn
- Analyze RFAs and RFPs from technical and cost perspectives
- Submit proposals using the format of the USAID Request for Application/Request (RFA/RFP)
- Manage the proposal process at the field level, either as a direct responsibility or in partnership with headquarters staff
- Conduct internal strategy meetings to facilitate the development of a strong technical solution, set calendars/timelines for managing the response, and identify appropriate team members for the proposal review process
- Establish effective partnerships for proposal development
- Develop an action plan to enhance the business development process within your organization, including anticipating solicitations and planning proposals in advance
Who should attend
- Finance staff who want to enhance their proposal writing or review skills
- Program staff – at HQ and in the community – who work on new business development
- Business development staff who are seeking to improve their team’s processes and systems
- Administrative staff who are interested in supporting the proposal writing process
If you’re still not sure if this course is right for you, feel free to contact us and we can help!
How will you learn
Humentum’s self-directed and focused trainings put the learner first. Connect and engage with peers from around the world, while learning through a series of engaging videos, assignments and readings. An expert facilitator will guide you.
The platform is open for a set number of weeks, and you can log-in to work at your own pace whenever convenient. You’ll find our learning platform easy to navigate, with clear guides and instructions. You can find out more about our online training platform by watching this video.
Each week, the following module will become available. To proceed to the next module, you’ll need to earn points for completing various tasks (such as watching videos, reviewing resources, and interacting with others). The more tasks you complete, the more points you’ll earn.
We estimate this training requires 5-7 hours per week, depending on your pace of learning, and previous experience.
We set the scene with an overview of what’s coming up over the four-week course.
Prepositioning: Know Your Client
- Introduction to proposal development
A first look at prepositioning, and we get you to start putting the learning into practice.
Prepositioning: Assess, Network, Anticipate
- A closer look at assessing, networking, and anticipating
- Have a go at supporting prepositioning for a fiction NGO
- Conduct prepositioning research for your organization
We continue to look at prepositioning.
Prepositioning: The Capture Plan
- Effectively responding to USAID award solicitations
- Develop a capture plan for a fictional NGO
- Practice reading an RFA
We round off the course with some final activities and share helpful bonus materials that you can use in your own organization.
Proposal Development: Kicking Off & Managing the Review Process
- Develop a 30 day proposal calendar
- Review a technical proposal
Upon completion, Humentum provides a certificate of attendance for this course.
Pricing and Discounts
Humentum encourages teams to attend this course together.
We offer a 15% discount for groups of 5 or more to attend this course.
Learn about our Organizational Training Package for members – an offer that allows even more flexibility and cost savings for your organization – starting at groups of 15 or more.
Humentum members receive a 10% discount off this course. When registering, ensure you use your organizational email address. Your member discount will then be automatically applied at checkout. Having trouble? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.